About Essential Oils
Essential oils to help the FM client during massage also can be used at home in bath and body oils, as well as simple diffusion [releasing in the air) or inhalation. For the purpose of therapeutic massage, up to 10 or 12 drops of a blend of essences can be used in a 1-ounce base of carrier oil, which should be a cold-pressed nut, seed or vegetable oil. 1 highly recommend fractionated coconut oil, which can be found on the internet. It is clear, light and odorless, never oxidizes, and there is a total skin penetration. The essential oils most useful in treating the symptoms of FM are:
• For pain relief: spike lavender, sweet marjoram, lavender, petitgrain, Roman and German chamomile, clary sage, lemongrass, helichrysum, peppermint, ginger and black pepper. Spike lavender with peppermint and helichrysum creates antiinflammatory synergy.
• For stress/anxiety relief: rose otto, frankincense, clary sage, sweet orange, bergamot, grapefruit, ylang ylang, sandalwood, neroli, sweet marjoram, petitgrain, mandarin, lavender, rose geranium, tangerine, jasmine.
• For peaceful sleep: lavender, neroli, jasmine, marjoram, Roman chamomile.
• For a feeling of harmony and safety: frankincense, lavender, rose, mandarin, neroli,helichrysum.
• For headaches: lavender, peppermint, marjoram, Roman chamomile.
• For increased circulation: rosemary, ginger, black pepper, peppermint, lemongrass, rose geranium.
While I believe the best blend will be specific to the individual and their needs, a useful overall blend might be: 4 drops of lavender, 1 drop of frankincense, 4 drops of sweet orange, and 1 drop of neroli. Another blend could include 4 drops of sweet marjoram, 1 drop of Roman chamomile, 4 drops of mandarin, and 1 drop of rose. If you want to provide more circulation, use 4 drops of lavender, 4 drops of rose geranium, 2 drops of rosemary, and 1 drops of lemongrass.
In your selection process be familiar with the mental, emotional and spiritual effects of the essences, as well as their physical properties. This will make the blend more appropriate for a specific client. The citrus oils provide energy and courage, and the flowers create peace and harmony, while spiritual connection comes through rose, neroli, sandalwood, frankincense, helichrysum, mandarin and lavender. Your might need to experiment with different blends before you find the one that works best for an individual.